It is so easy to be consumed with ourselves – what we want, how we feel, what makes us happy, what is important to us, how will doing this or doing that affect me or not affect me. Me. I. Myself. After all, this is the message that our culture advertises. Life is supposed to be about us and if someone or something does not make us happy, then we should replace it with someone else or something else. In reality, when we focus on ourselves only, we really are miserable people.
So, are here are 5 ways we can all use to get over ourselves and get on with the real purpose of life:
1. Realize that you are not important. This is not an acceptable statement for most people. But, in the grand scheme of things, you are not important. To get over yourself, put God first and make Him most important. Then, put other people in front of yourself and make them more important.
2. Look for ways to help other people. There is always going to be someone who needs help. Be that person’s help. Choose to reach out, to love people, to talk to people, to make a difference in the world.
3. Put mind over matter. Everything ever conceived, achieved, or believed started in the mind. Every difficult situation can be overcome if you put your mind on it first. Think. Make tough decisions. Ask for help if you need it. Don’t whine. Don’t complain. Don’t worry. Fixing every problem begins with fixing your mind about the problem.
4. Feel your feelings but don’t let them control you. We all have feelings. Feelings should not be suppressed or ignored. However, feelings should not control our lives. Living based on feelings can cause you to make irrational decisions at crucial moments that will cost you for a long time. Feelings come and go, but facts and truth stay forever.
5. Choose to do good and then you will feel good. Choices always proceed every action. We can choose to do good or choose to do bad. When we do good, we will feel good on the inside. When we do bad, we will feel bad on the inside. Do good. Be good. Have a good heart. Let goodness shine through your life.
When you look in the mirror, who do you see? Do you see a person who is focused on himself or herself? Or do you see a person who has gotten over himself or herself and is focused on there purpose in life? I hope you see the latter.
God Bless You!